Thursday, October 14, 2010

Favorite Oven Fries





These excellent fries have been part of a near weekly ritual since my oldest started Kindergarten. His school offers a fast food lunch twice a week and after discussing compromise options with him, he sticks with the pizza lunch on Fridays and we send our own homemade chicken tenders and fries on Wednesdays. These are usually made the night before and I pack them in his sandwich container with chicken strips I've made and frozen previously and the school heats it up for him.
Oven Fries:
8-10 small to medium round style potatoes
1/4 cup canola oil plus 2 TBS olive oil
salt and seasonings to taste
Wash and cut potatoes into thin wedged shaped pieces. Toss slices in a large bowl with oil and other seasonings. (I use a blend of rosemary, pepper, sage, thyme, sea salt, orange rind, lemon rind, garlic and onion). Arrange slices into single layer on cookie sheets and bake at 425. Start to check them in 8 minutes and then every 3 minutes after. When golden brown on one side, flip them and bake again starting to check after 5 minutes. Blot with paper towels if desired.
related links:

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I make these all the time, too! I love how you can play with the seasonings and have 'different fries'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! You know, I've never made my own fries. I think I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete