Monday, October 4, 2010

Lemon Squares











For the past nearly four years my outside-the-home job has been that of a part-time (3/4 time) supermarket banker. Because our branch has later hours, I generally have a flexible schedule that allows me to balance between home and earning a bit of an income. I like my job most of the time. I get to take care of my customers start to finish. A customer might make a deposit with me, then apply for a loan with me, then meet with me two weeks later where I'll perform the loan closing with them. I have my moments, as in all jobs, when I think "What on earth am I doing here?" but the things that keep me grounded during that time are some great people I work with and some of my really friendly long-term customers.

I wear a name tag that has a spot on it where each colleague is asked to write something personal about themselves as a "conversation starter." Mine reads: "I like to bake."

Usually a handful of times I'll be asked about it during a regular day. Customers will share the things they like to make and we'll talk about it while I help them with their business. Not long ago, I received this recipe for lemon bars from Mrs. L. So thanks Mrs. L. for the great recipe!

Mrs. L's Lemon Squares:

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup confectioners sugar (I used regular sugar because I was out and they came out just fine)
1 cup butter (two sticks) melted
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Mix together 2 cups flour, melted butter, and 1/2 cup confectioners sugar. Mix well and spread into the bottom of a 9 x 13" pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Mix together eggs, 2 cups sugar, lemon juice, baking powder, and remaining flour (1/4 cup) and blend together very well. Pour onto the baked shell and bake at 350 for another 25 minutes or until set.

Dust with confectioners sugar when cool, if desired.

Cut into bars.

These pictures didn't come out so hot but trust me, they are tasty.

Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. I use the same exact recipe for my Lemon Bars and they always get rave reviews!

    ReplyDelete