Thursday, September 30, 2010

Husweh (Syrian Lamb Stuffing)


















One of my favorite food memories about my first Thanksgiving with my dad is falling in love with this amazing stuffing. I'd never had anything like it before and I'd probably ever only eaten lamb once or twice in my life. The combination of flavors in this stuffing is hard to describe and if it's something you're not used to, it can be a bit of an adjustment. With an earthy and slightly cinnamon flavor, it's hearty and perfect for any meal where "harvest" is an undertone. It's a beautiful dish that I've made part of my own adopted traditions and it's a dish I make with warmth in my heart.



What is that yellow stuff? It's clarified butter (or ghee). I made this particular block last fall, probably while I was on the phone with my aunt Dolores asking her the best way to get the milk and salts out of the butter without swirling it back in. I probably called her every time I made clarified butter. We lost her in May and I think about her every day. I don't think I'll ever saute pine nuts without picturing her standing at my father's stove tossing them in the Calphalon pan he uses every single year for this purpose. This is my dad's recipe and I only adjust it slightly to my own preferences. Note: If you don't like lamb, you can use beef. I probably do about 50% of the time when I make it if I can't find decent lamb. I'll admit though, it's not as good unless you use the real thing.



Husweh (Hush-weh)


1 lb ground lamb (my father uses up to 1.5 lbs and it's delicious either way)
1/2 tsp black pepper1/2-1tsp syrian pepper (purchased at stores where they sell middle eastern foods, and I've found it online although have not purchased it that way)
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
2-2.5 cups poultry broth/stock
1 cup white rice


approx 1 TBS clarified butter
approx 1/2 cup pine nuts (pignoli nuts)



Saute ground lamb in a large saucepan, breaking it up as it cooks. When lamb is mostly browned, add black pepper, syrian pepper, salt, and cinnamon. Saute for a few minutes longer until all lamb is brown. Add broth and simmer on med/low for about 30 minutes. Add rice and turn heat to medium. Cover and boil until rice is cooked or until you can stand a fork in the middle and it stays put. If it starts to dry out before rice is cooked (I find that this rarely happens) you can add a bit more broth.

While rice is cooking, saute pine nuts in clarified butter on low heat until well toasted.

Arrange rice stuffing on platter and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. This dish is extra tasty with a bit of turkey gravy on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment