Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Brown Rice Pudding Start: 10:30PM End: 11:30PM







I have a great recipe for making rice pudding out of leftover rice, however what I had in my fridge leftover from tonights dinner was steamed brown rice. It couldn't hurt to try! I also was looking to use up some of the dried cherries from last summer. (I did get a great suggestion of making a couscous dish but unfortunately I have no plain couscous in the house and have been using up the savory versions first).

Needed:

2 cups leftover cooked rice (I'm experimenting with brown today, but white rice really does work better)
3.5 cups milk
1/3-1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit (optional)
1/2 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, or other spice (optional)

Combine rice, milk, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a low boil. When light foam forms on surface turn heat down to low then add fruit and simmer for 30-40 minutes.

Turn heat off when mixture is thickened but not completely absorbed of all milk. Set the pan aside on the stovetop for 15-20 minutes. There still should be liquid in the pan but it should be a bit creamy. Too little liquid left will result in a very pasty end product. If the mixture is too thick, add 1/3-1/2 cup of milk and stir before chilling. Refrigerate for at least two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment