Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Star Calzones







My oldest son started Kindergarten today. I wanted to make him something fun for his first lunch in his new lunch bag and over the weekend while outlet shopping I found this cute little star shaped pie mold and decided to try to make him some pocket calzones.


What I learned is that they call it a pie mold for a reason. Much better suited for sandwiches or pie crusts. Bread dough is best formed into calzones by hand. I made four of these little pockets then gave up and made a big calzone for slicing.



I did manage to have a couple of stars that came out nice and those went into his lunch along with an encouraging note for his first day.





Filling: Turkey pepperoni, mozzerella cheese, red sauce, minced green beans



3 comments:

  1. I love these!!!! Where did you get the star mold? I don't have kids, but I could see myself making these for a cocktail party or for my staff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute!~ They look delicious. I love that you pack such a creative and thoughtful lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gretchen,

    I got this from the Williams Sonoma Outlet for 4.99. I'm having a tough time finding it online.

    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/pocket-pie-mold/

    ReplyDelete