Sunday, August 22, 2010

Dough 2-Batches Start: 8:50PM End:1:30AM




I knew last night that we'd be bringing food to a potluck gathering with visiting family from New Hampshire. I worked yesterday, and we had some errands to do before I came home for the night so I knew I had to start something that I could prepare this morning. I wanted inexpensive, easy, quick, tasty, and filling foods. We decided to prepare four items: Pizza in multiple varieties, Mini Quiches, Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Rice Krispie Treats.

Sometimes I make refrigerator dough. It's a potato and flour based dough made in a very large batch meant to be kept in the fridge for up to a week so chunks can be removed and used/baked every day. Overall it saves time and money, however the initial work required is more than I wanted to do last night. I chose my common method of cheating where I make the dough in my machine and then remove it after the first rising and refrigerate or use in the oven. I never bake in my machine. First, I hate the hole that the paddle makes. Last, the bread honestly tastes better and is chewier when you bake in the oven.

My favorite dough recipe:

4 Cups Flour (I use unbleached white or white/wheat combo)
1 TBS brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp olive oil (any oil will be fine)
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/3 cup warm water (1 1/2 if using at least 50% whole wheat flour)

I run this on my bread machines dough setting which takes about 1 hour and 40 minutes. I usually let it sit in the machine for another 10-15 minutes before dumping it all into a bucket of flour then letting it rest on a baking pan if I'm baking right away. (Or in a large glass bowl if you are storing it in the fridge for a day or two)

If baking bread, divide this into two loaves and let sit on the pan covered by a damp cloth for 20 minutes or so. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until knocking on the bottom of the loaf results in a nice hollow sound.

This dough makes great pizza, cinnamon rolls, and fried dough. I find it to be the most versatile use-today-or-tomorrow recipe I've ever used.

(Pizza was made this morning, but I've included the photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment