Sunday, August 15, 2010

Honey Oat Almond Muffins Start: 10:35PM End: 11:25PM




We like muffins in our house. They're quick, easy to make, and generally very inexpensive. My children like muffins a lot and on mornings when I'm very very tired, it's an easy "help yourself" food.

I chose a nut variety tonight because we don't have to worry about school until Wednesday and because I have some slivered almonds I thought would be nice in something. I debated mincing up some of the dried fruit I posted about but I'm going to hold out to see if there are any suggestions that roll in that I can try.

As an aside, I've just thrown my dining room curtains in the wash. That probably hasn't happened in an amount of months (years) I'm embarrassed to admit. However, I've just learned that our house will be shown as part of a realtor tour on Wednesday so I felt I needed to at least get one productive thing done tonight. I imagine that I'll have a heavy baking night tomorrow as I tackle some dining room packing. I've started some lima beans soaking tonight, which is another family favorite but I'm thinking those will get cooked earlier in the day.


Honey Almond Oat Muffins:


1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole oats
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup slivered almonds, slightly crushed in hands
1 egg
1/4 cup oil or butter
1/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp almond extract, if you have it
1 1/8 cup milk


Mix all ingredients together until well blended. Let sit for 10 minutes. Fill 12 muffin cups with equal amounts and bake at 350 degrees until knife inserted into center comes out clean and tops are slightly golden.

These are VERY good with cherry preserves if you have it but any sort of berry jam is nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment