Thursday, September 30, 2010

Butter Biscuits




I'll be honest. I've been cheating. With my oldest starting Kindergarten and some work exhaustion I've been feeling my midnight baking has turned more into 9PM baking over the past couple of weeks. I've accomplished quite a bit, however, remembering to take photos hasn't been my strong suit so there are definitely a few things I will have to make again (like managing to actually make a decent pie crust lately).

I have one thing to say about these butter biscuits...and it's that if you make them, you might be tempted to never buy another can of biscuits again. Since discovering this recipe, it's probably been a few years since Pillsbury cans have found their way into my fridge. These are preservative free, tasty, and a fraction of the price if you buy your butter on sale. They take me about 2 minutes to mix and about 8 minutes from start to oven. You don't need to roll them and the kids usually eat about half the batch as soon as they come out of the oven.


Butter Biscuits:
2 cups unbleached flour (if using whole wheat, use no more than 1/2 cup wheat flour)
1 TBS sugar, brown sugar, or honey
1 TBS baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 stick butter (the real stuff) quartered and cut into small cubes
3/4 cup milk


Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees

Together in a bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Sprinkle a few cubes of butter into the mix and toss. Repeat until all cubes are integrated into flour mix. Cut in butter using two knives or a pastry mixer until mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. You can use your bare hands if you find the knives clumsy to work with and you don't have a pastry mixer. Add milk and stir together until well coated.

Dump ball of dough onto a floured surface and dust the top with flour. Using your hands, press the mix into a disc about 1/2-1/3 inch thick. Use a round cookie cutter to cut biscuit shapes and lay the circles on an ungreased cookie sheet. I use 2.5 inch diameter circles but you can use any size that you prefer. Gather dough together and repeat the pressing and cutting process until all the dough is used.

Bake biscuits about 12 minutes until golden. Adjust accordingly for the size of the cutter you use.


These are delicious warm and while they are super buttery already, a little pat of fresh butter after splitting is absolutely amazing.

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I may have to try these this weekend and make a potroast to go with them.

    ReplyDelete